The parish of Bainton is situated in what was once the wapentake of Harthill (Bainton Beacon division), part of the historical East Riding of Yorkshire (see maps in Introduction). A beacon was erected near the village for the purpose of alerting the surrounding countryside to the approach of danger, giving rise to the division’s name.
There are a number of listed buildings in the village, the oldest being St. Andrew’s church, which is believed to date from the late 1100s. It was almost totally rebuilt between approximately 1330 and 1340, except for the south-west corner of the chancel with its priest’s doorway (c1300). Until 1715 the tower supported a spire, and the pews date from the same century. The vestry and south porch were added around 1843, and restorations were carried out in 1866. The highlights for the visitor are the Norman font with its distinctive markings and the splendid tomb and effigy of Sir Edmund de Mauley (d1314). The historian Edward Baines claims that “William le Gross (sic), a Knight of Malta, and Earl of Albemarle, was buried in this church”.
Several Puckerings of Bainton are recorded in the parish records from early 1500 to 1600. Martin Pickering (1815-1855) of the Pickerings of Middleton-on-the Wolds was buried in the village and his children baptised in the church, as was the founder of the Pickerings of Driffield 1.
History, Directory & Gazeteer of the County of York, vol II, East and North Ridings, Edward Baines, 1823, p.152: https://books.google.fr/books?id=-xgHAAAAYAAJ&pg
Church of St. Andrew: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083830?section=official-list-entry