The parish of Rise lies in a relatively well wooded area of Holderness, the former significance of its woodland being evident from its name, “Risun”, the plural form of the Old English “hris” meaning brushwood. This is how it was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 with Franco de Fauconberg as its lord, along with 7 villagers and 6 smallholders.
Much of the parish lies on boulder clay but deposits of sand and gravel help to produce a broad band of higher ground, 15–25m above sea level, which runs from north to south through the centre of the parish, providing the village with its site. Lower ground is found in the east and west and also to the south, where the land falls to 8m in the valley of Lambwath stream, one of two streams which drain the area, both of which were recorded as insufficient in 1367.
Rise was held by “Cnut son of Karli” in 1066. The estate at that time compromised 6 carucates of ploughed fields (roughly 720 acres). It also had 30 acres of meadow and 40 acres of woodland. It was later passed to William Malet, a Companion of William the Conqueror who was present at the battle of Hastings, and thereafter to Drogo de la Beuvrière. However it was Drogo’s undertenant, Franco de Fauconberg, who held it and in whose family it remained until 1372, when Sir Thomas Fauconberg sold it to Sir John Neville. The Nevilles, an ancient Durham family, retained possession until Richard Neville, earl of Warwick and Salisbury, the “king maker”, had his estates seized by the crown after his death in 1471 and partitioned in 1475, when Rise and other Yorkshire manors were assigned to his son-in-law, Richard Plantagenet, duke of Gloucester, later Richard III. The crown retained Rise until 1628 and in c1650 it came into the possession of the Bethell (originally ap Ithell) family, who had moved to the East Riding from Herefordshire in the late 16th century. Practically all of the estate belonged to Sir Hugh Bethell at the time of the 1660 enclosure and the family still retained ownership of most of Rise parish in 1995.
A manor house at Rise was recorded in the early 14th century, but by the early 16th the medieval house of the Fauconbergs had gone and several other buildings apparently stood on its site. In 1624 the chief house was probably that situated west of the church with 8 acres adjoining it and in 1672 it was the 13-hearth house of Sir Hugh Bethell. By this time John Pickering, a shoemaker from Hedon, was living in the village and twelve of his nineteen children were born there, their surname being recorded as Puckering. John was probably totally unaware that he was a direct descendant of two of the families that had held the lordship of Rise, the Fauconbergs and the Nevilles (see Hazel Pickering‘s tree).
In 1716 the manor house stood on the site of the later Rise Hall, east of the church, and had an E plan, but by 1762 most of it had been rebuilt along a U plan. It was at about this time that William Bethell decided to make some major changes to the layout of his estate. In 1762 the buildings of Rise village lay along two streets, one leading east from the church past the manor house to join the second, longer street, which was aligned north-south. A stretch of the latter street faced the park and most of its houses stood on its east side. In 1774 William Bethell had the east-west street diverted to a more northerly course away from his manor house, demolishing all the buildings which stood south of the new road except the church, its yard and the rectory. The empty site was used to extend the park and woods and the other houses close to the enlarged grounds were also demolished, while the north-south road gradually disappeared. The village was rebuilt some 200m north of the new road, where half a dozen cottages on smallholdings and a school comprised New Rise by the 1850s. In the meantime, between 1815 and 1820, Richard Bethell had extensively remodelled the manor house. The present house is in Greek-revival style and is faced with fine ashlar; the plan is irregular, no doubt to accommodate the pre-existing fabric.
During the Second World War the manor served as headquarters for the operation of searchlight batteries in the local area, and accommodated the officers manning them. The Bethells had given up the house by 1946, when they bought the former rectory, later called Rise Park. By this time their former seat, thereafter Rise Hall, had been let to the Canonesses Regular of St. Augustine, who ran it as a roman catholic boarding and day school for girls until 1989 and in 1995 were using the house as an occasional educational centre. A gymnasium and a dining room were added in c1980, the latter later becoming the chapel. Rise Hall stood empty in 1998 and had fallen into disrepair before being bought in March 2001 by TV personality Sarah Beeny and her husband, who set about restoring it with the intention of making it into a family home and wedding venue. Rise Hall, stables and coach house are all listed buildings.
A church has existed in Rise since the early 1200s and a rector was mentioned in the mid 13th century, but later rectors served various parishes alongside Rise and did not live at the rectory. This goes some way to explain why the church was a “small, dilapidated, ancient structure” by the 19th century and why Richard Bethell demolished it and built a new one in its place from 1844 to 1845. The medieval church of St. Mary comprised a chancel and a nave with a south porch and a western bell turret. A blocked, round-headed doorway in the north side of the nave suggests that it was of 12th century origin although most of the features are said to be 14th century. The new church of All Saints was built of fine ashlar in a plain 13th century style and comprises a chancel with a north vestry, a nave with a south porch, and a west tower with a broach spire. Some 13th century stonework was reused in the chancel arch. Both the church and its yard, which was extended in 1845, contain many memorials to the Bethell family.
The population of of Rise has fluctuated over the centuries. There were 87 poll tax payers in 1377, and 25 houses were assessed for hearth tax and 5 discharged in 1672. It is not known whether John Pickering paid the tax, but the parish registers record the deaths in infancy of six of his children. However, the Pickering/Puckerings did not contribute to the population of Rise and no gravestones attest to their presence in Rise, as the family moved to Hutton Cranswick in the early 18th century. The parish had 33 families in 1743 and 25 in 1764. From 155 in 1801 the population of Rise increased gradually to 221 in 1821, which was highest it was to attain. At the latest census of 2011 it stood at 105.
The Domesday Book: http://domesdaymap.co.uk/place/TA1441/rise
A History of the County of York East Riding, Volume 7: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16157&strquery=Rise
Pickerings of Holderness
18.104.22.168.2.4. John PUCKERING shoemaker, baptised 4 September 1673 Rise, buried 9 January 1728 Hedon, married 1st Unknown UNKNOWN, married 2nd 2 November 1696 Bridlington Jane BROWNE buried 5 February 1729 Hedon.
Children of John PUCKERING and Unknown UNKNOWN:
22.214.171.124.2.4.1. John PUCKERING
Children of John PUCKERING and Jane BROWNE:
126.96.36.199.2.4.2. Marmaduke PUCKERING
188.8.131.52.2.4.3. Roger PUCKERING
184.108.40.206.2.5. Isabel PUCKERING baptised and buried 7 December 1675 Rise.
220.127.116.11.2.6. Robert PUCKERING baptised 4 January 1677 Rise.
18.104.22.168.2.7. Thomas PUCKERING born c1677, buried 1 March 1677 Rise.
22.214.171.124.2.8. Ann PUCKERING baptised 3 October 1679 Rise, buried 15 November 1679 Rise.
126.96.36.199.2.9. Hanna PUCKERING baptised 3 October 1679 Rise, buried 7 September 1685 Rise.
188.8.131.52.2.10. Thomas PUCKERING baptised 10 February 1683 Rise, buried 18 February 1683 Rise.
184.108.40.206.2.11. Jane PUCKERING baptised 10 February 1683 Rise, buried 29 June 1683 Rise.
220.127.116.11.2.12. William PICKERING labourer, baptised 31 August 1684 Rise, buried 12 October 1769.
18.104.22.168.2.13. Isabel PICKERING baptised 24 June 1688 in Rise, married 15 January 1716 Rise Ralph HOWARD.
22.214.171.124.2.14. Mary PICKERING baptised 21 December 1691 Rise.
126.96.36.199.2.15. Marmaduke PICKERING joiner, baptised 29 May 1694 Rise, buried 11 January 1770 Hedon, married 9 October 1722 Preston Mary SPENSER buried 4 May 1770 Hedon.
188.8.131.52.2.15.1. Marmaduke PICKERING
184.108.40.206.2.15.2. Mary PICKERING
220.127.116.11.2.15.3. Martha PICKERING
18.104.22.168.2.15.4. Marmaduke PICKERING
22.214.171.124.2.15.5. Eleanor PICKERING
126.96.36.199.2.15.6. Richard PICKERING
188.8.131.52.2.16. Richard PICKERING born c1696, married 1st 19 November 1734 Skeckling Hannah DEARLOVE, married 2nd 18 April 1739 Preston Mary HARDY.
Children of Richard PICKERING and Hannah DEARLOVE:
184.108.40.206.2.16.1. John PICKERING
220.127.116.11.2.16.2. Richard PICKERING
Children of Richard PICKERING and Mary HARDY:
18.104.22.168.2.16.3. William PICKERING
22.214.171.124.2.16.4. Marmaduke PICKERING
126.96.36.199.2.16.5. Dearlove PICKERING
188.8.131.52.2.16.6. Michael PICKERING
184.108.40.206.2.17. Elizabeth PICKERING born c1698, married 1 June 1724 Hedon John FAWN labourer, born c1700.
220.127.116.11.2.18. Hannah PICKERING born c1698, married 20 October 1739 Swine William FOSTER.
18.104.22.168.2.19. George PICKERING labourer, born c1700, married 16 November 1731 Tunstall Elizabeth COLLIN.
22.214.171.124.2.19.1. Ralph PICKERING
126.96.36.199.2.19.2. Rachel PICKERING
188.8.131.52.2.19.3. George PICKERING
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. John PUCKERING labourer, born c1735 and died after 1797, married 13 December 1756 Rise Elizabeth HUDSON (daughter of Thomas HUDSON and Elizabeth FLETCHER) baptised 20 December 1730 Rise, buried 18 April 1797 Rise.
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1. John PUCKERING
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Susanna PUCKERING
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. Stephen PUCKERING
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.4. Mary PUCKERING
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.5. Elizabeth PUCKERING
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6. William PUCKERING
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.7. Jane PUCKERING
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8. John PUCKERING
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1. John PUCKERING baptised 4 September 1757 Rise, buried 8 October 1773 Rise.
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2. Susanna PUCKERING baptised 11 February 1759 Rise, married 14 May 1789 Skirlaugh John CHARLES.
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3. Stephen PUCKERING baptised 20 March 1760 Rise, buried 4 January 1824 Rise, married 14 December 1795 Beverley Elizabeth TRAIN.
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.4. Mary PUCKERING baptised 20 February 1763 Rise, married c1790 Henry FAIRBANK baptised 20 July 1765 Rise.
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.5. Elizabeth PUCKERING baptised 9 September 1765 Rise, buried 25 October 1774 Rise.
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6. William PUCKERING gardener, baptised 14 March 1768 Rise, buried 25 November 1844 Rise, married 15 July 1793 Aldbrough Elizabeth GIBSON died before 1841.
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.1. William PUCKERING
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.2. Mary PUCKERING
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.7. Jane PUCKERING baptised 22 July 1770 Rise, buried 24 March 1774 Rise.
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8. John PUCKERING baptised 14 August 1774 Rise, married 2 October 1798 Nunkeeling Sarah RUDDOCK (daughter of William RUDDOCK) baptised 17 November 1776 North Frodingham, buried 22 July 1823 Rise.
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8.1. Harriot PUCKERING
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8.2. Mary PUCKERING
184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8.3. William PUCKERING
18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.1. William PUCKERING baptised 13 March 1796 Aldbrough, buried 13 January 1809 Rise.
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.2. Mary PUCKERING baptised 25 April 1799 Rise, died before 1881 Rise, married 4 June 1829 Rise Robert BROWN born 1809.